Friday 19 February 2010

Snow had fallen, Snow on Snow …

With ‘In the Bleak Midwinter …’ progressing nicely I began translating my designs and work into knit samples.

As I had chosen to study ‘Trees and Hedgerows’ within the project and how they are affected by snow I concentrated largely on texture within my sample development. Thinking about the textures of trees and bark and how these appear when covered in snow. I considered the rough bumpy texture of bark and began to consider a colour scheme that related to the snow, ice and frost which covered the trees. I also thought about trickling water and ice in cracks and how they all affect and change trees. This all became a basis for my design work. A line from the Christina Rossetti poem from which the project arose echoed regularly in my mind ‘Snow on Snow.’ Leading to the idea of layers and giving the visual impact of snow upon snow upon texture.

Here are a few very early scraps developing my ideas, choosing my yarns, colour schemes and preferred techniques etc:

Below: Random FairIsle pattern created using my grey/blue wool and a cream and blue acrylic mix, then felted. Knot created by hooking back on the machine after casting off.



Below: Created using a tuck stitch pattern, hooking up and ladders.


Below: Tuck stitch with Ribbon knitted in.


No comments:

Post a Comment