Monday 15 February 2010

In the bleak Midwinter …

A new semester and a new project begins, and still I’m attempting to catch up with my blog to focus on current work, a task that there just doesn’t seem enough hours in the day to accomplish!
The project, much to my delight, is entitled ‘In the Bleak Midwinter …’. The subject is very fitting as the assignment was given to us on a day thick with frost and snow, the landscape on my journey to university was the image of ‘bleak’, yet I did find myself, as always, looking to the trees and their bare twisted shapes on the snowy horizon. ‘Id love to do a project printing tree silhouettes and gnarled shapes’ I pondered, congering up all sorts of ideas in my mind. After displaying my work for assessment I received the next assignment, excited and eager I returned home to begin it.

After a little investigation I soon discovered that ‘In the Bleak Midwinter’ was a line taken from a Christina Rossetti poem. Being a Pre-Raphaelite obsessive I jumped at the chance to drag my favourite art movement into the equation in some minute way. As the idea of the poem began to escalate I found myself painstakingly writing out the poem, one line on each page, with the intention of it being a running theme and a mild commentary on my work. Pleased with my flow of ideas (even if I was creating excessive work for myself as usual) my enthusiasm for the new project was quite simply anything but ‘bleak’.

No comments:

Post a Comment