Saturday 26 May 2012

Scarves at Saint Werburgh's

In order to visualise my collection and represent my designs appropriately I took a number of photographs at Derby Cathedral and Saint Werburgh's Church. The location was a very important, conscious decision, as every day for the past three years I have walked through Saint Werburgh's Churchyard on my commute to university. The building has always held a certain fascination for me, as I adore its Gothic style and exquisite craftsmanship of the building, however its disuse makes it rather mysterious and sad. In relation to the context of my project, Saint Werburgh's was a perfect choice for a location, its deconsecration and decay relates directly to my questioning of faith and many of its 'traditional' aspects. The church sits lonely, empty, vandalised, adorned daily with groups of homeless people, passed by and ignored by commuters, with no place in the busy cityscape other than a convenient shortcut. To me the church is a representation of Christianity in modern society, an archaic, fading glory, still cherished by a small few, ignored by the majority, until it becomes in some way convenient.

The location also felt appropriate, as it marks the end of three years commuting to Derby, and seeing these familiar, impacting sights which have largely inspired the thinking and concept behind my collection

Many thanks to my model Anita Harasymiw for doing a brilliant job!

Here are just a few of the photographs:

No comments:

Post a Comment