Saturday 22 October 2011

New Books!

As a self confessed bookworm and someone obsessed with aquiring knowledge, I'm pleased to say I have two new books to add to my growing collection. I still feel a deep sense of joy and excitement when I buy, or am given a new book (or indeed an old one) so Ive been thumbing through both of these with shameless excitement.

'The Picture Book' was a very thoughtful birthday gift from fellow students Jodie Hatton and Jenni Gregory. With all sorts of interesting and often bizarre examples of contemporary illustration, its right up my street. Full of a huge range of studies in virtually every media imaginable, definitely recommended for those always searching for inspiration.

'The Book of Skulls' was a rather personal purchase. After spotting a feature on it on the guardian website I became intrigued and quickly ordered it. The book is instantly incredibly visual, with its highly contrasting cover and exposed binding it looks very unique. The book looks largely at what the skull means to society, art and design and how it is used in a huge variety of ways by so many people. If like me your interested in the macabre, symbolism in art, design and graphics or just appreciate some genius work, its a must.



Both books can be found to buy on the internet, if your interested here are just two of the retailers stocking them at the moment:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Picture-Roanne-Bell/9781856696074

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Skulls-Faye-Dowling/dp/1856697002

No comments:

Post a Comment