Monday 1 August 2011

London

While in London for High Voltage festival, I also decided to soak up some culture in the big city.
Despite having visited many galleries and exhibitions in my years, Ive never actually been to the National Gallery. So a few hours were devoted to soaking up some inspiration in the Gallery.

It felt rather bizarre seeing paintings that I have studied and analysed for many years in the flesh. I can see why my old art teacher Dave Ashman encouraged us to take the time to see the paintings up close, not just in books (even though we were all headstrong enough to think we knew best).
Degas, Monet and Manet were all a delight to behold. But the biggest impact was made on me by someone I had not expected to be gobsmacked by. Turner. I dont think Id ever quite appreciated Turner, but seeing the texture of the paint seemed to make all the difference, and 'Ulysses deriding Polyphemus' had me fascinated for some time.

An enjoyable experience, and I regret I have never been before. I cant say I enjoyed the crowds of people and all the noise. Alot of rudeness Im sad to say, and people being far more indulgent in their personal frivolities than in art ... Oh well, I dont suppose every gallery can be akin to a library (sadly).





No comments:

Post a Comment