Saturday 15 May 2010

Weaving History

On a trip to my hometown of Nottingham I visited the Medieval Market on the square. Immediately a rather large vertical Loom caught my eye and interested me:



I inquired about the loom and discussed it with the lady (in full medieval attire) who was giving demonstrations. I enquired if she was weaving linen as I had always wanted to see wet weaving. She was infact weaving a coarse wollen fabric suitable for a tunic. I asked if she carded and spun her own wool, it didnt surprise me to hear that she did (mostly because Id already spotted her basket of fleece.
She was also hand weaving a trim for a tunic as well as doing a tapesty.



The market was in abundance with textiles, including; leather mugs, rag weaves, recycled textiles, felt and many more crafty things!
The market was just one of the events celebrating Robin Hood month. Celebrate medieval history with fun events for all the family throughout may, visit the website for more details:

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/robinhoodmonth

No comments:

Post a Comment