Friday 7 May 2010

Bradford Textile Society Award Ceremony

Today was the day of the Bradford Textile Society design seminar and Award presentation! The long, busy day left me somewhat exhausted, but it was rewarding to see my work on display and to have achieved something.

As I rather foolishly forgot to photograph my entry before it was posted, here I finally bring you a photograph of my board!
Here is my 2nd prize entry in the Clothworkers' Foundation award for First Year Students for a Knitted Fabric in any Fibre or Blend (quite a mouth full I know!):



The day began at around 6.20 for me, travelling to Derby and walking to university, something I do every day (although never in a dress!). Unable to catch the election results before I began my journey I bought a paper on the way, only to see my strong support of Labour had not been enough to win them the election. We left on a University of Derby mini-bus for Bradford at 9am, managing the journey at a fair pace until we arrived at Bradford and got lost attempting to find the 'Rio Grande', our first port of call for registration. Eventually we arrived and were then taken on a tour of the 'Bombay Stores, which boasts the title of the 'UK's Largest Asian Department Store'. In a word the place was incredible. Everything seemed to shimmer or sparkle or glint, and the rolls and rolls of fabric and ribbon got me snapping away madly:






As usual I could see inspiration and ideas everywhere, so a few close ups were rather tempting too:







After the tour of 'Bombay Stores' we returned to Rio Grande for lunch. I decided this was the perfect time to take some photos and fly the flag for the University of Derby, and here are all the UoD prize winners (I'm far left lol):



And Jackie and Kay:



After lunch we walked to the National Media Museum to view all the winning entries on display and then have our design seminar and award presentation. The seminar was given by Sabine Le Chatelier of Premiere Vision. Then everyone received their awards from President John Dyson.
Congratulations to all the designers who entered into the Bradford Textile Society Design Competition, well done to everyone and thank you to the society and its sponsors for an enjoyable day. Best of luck for next year everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment