Monday 20 February 2012

Père Lachaise Cemetery

One place I was eager to visit in Paris was the Père Lachaise Cemetery. At a staggering 110 acres, the vast cemetery could quite easily have had an entire day devoted to its sights.
With an undeniable atmosphere the cemetery had a tense, breathless quality I have only felt a few times in my life. A truly incredible, emotive place.
The most harrowing sights came from the Holocaust monuments within the cemetery, the skeletal figures of men, women and children lined one particular avenue, virtually rendering me speechless.
There were so many beautiful, yet sad, monuments and graves of varying sizes, styles and states of decay, it was impossible to give each the attention and respect they deserve, one can but try.
One thing I had looked forward to was leaving a rose for a great inspiration in my life; Oscar Wilde. His tomb was a beautiful sight, and I felt a sense of pride and loyalty to leave him a kiss like so many before me.





No comments:

Post a Comment