Sunday 10 April 2011

Kingfishers

As my projects moves forwards and I consider the elements of nature I want to specifically focus on and study I focused on my surroundings and the places I had visited for inspiration. As I see the River Derwent almost every day on my journey to University, and enjoyed following it through Marlock on my walk, I decided that I wanted to paint an oak tree, as Derwent mean 'Valley thick with oaks'. Birds also fasinate me, so putting a bird into the tree seemed highly natural. I chose to study a kingfisher, as it is a bird I love but have never seen in the wild.

I looked to Morris for inspiration in my work, and sought to create a large scale repeat unit, reflecting my own obsession with nature, and the local nature which inspires me daily. I used unity and symmetry when designing, in an attempt to create a harmony within the design.





No comments:

Post a Comment